Monday, March 31, 2014
Review
I read reviews of TV shows and movies all the time, whether online or in a magazine, so it wasn't very hard to find one to analyze. Like my last blogger post, I'll be focusing on one of my favorite shows, Teen Wolf. I use TV.com mostly for the reivews that I read, or I stumble upon random ones every now and then. My favorite writers on TV.com is Price Peterson, and during the Teen Wolf season, he reviews the show weekly and I'm usually waiting eagerly for him to publish it to the website. For my example, I'll use the review he wrote for the season 3 finale, here. I'm not going to summarize the review because that will be just summarizing the episode, but I will say that Price uses a different sort of technique with his reviews. Instead of paragraphs of a simple, boring synopsis of what happened in 42 minutes, he takes the time to recap the episode with chronological photo shots, which usually totals to somewhere between 50 and 75 pictures. Then he captions each photo with a very brief, yet humorous rendition of what is happening in the photo shot. In between groups of photos, which consists of several shots of a single scene from the episode, he summarizes what happened and comments on anything important or relevent. It's both entertaining and it opens up theories and themes from the episode that I had overlooked after watching once. It also allows me to relive my favorite moments. By the time the review reaches an end, Price gives future predictions and/or hopes for the next episode/season, and final thoughts on the episode itself. I really love reading these reviews because it's something different and exciting and entertaining. It's also great that Price thinks like all of his readers, which I think is something to have when writing reviews. Obviously I won't be writing a photo recap review, but it's still good to see all the kinds of reviews and each has to offer that others might not.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment